Inserting and Kitting FAQ

Inserting and Kitting FAQ

Printco offers inserting, kitting, slip sheeting, and collating, options on various products, including

What is inserting?

Illustration of reverse collating 

Most commonly used for multi-piece mailings , inserting involves putting various products into one larger product. For example: letter and reply envelope into a larger envelope.


Printco has the ability to do matched mailingsas well. This is when one or more of the inserted pieces has the same name and address on it as the outside envelope.


What is Kitting?


Printco offers hand-assembly (also called “hand-work”) to put multi-piece products together. For example: various brochures inserted into a folder; various printed and non-printed items into packaging.


Many customers choose to use our fulfillment servicesand house their items in Printco’s warehouse to be kitted as needed and shipped to their clients or franchises.


What is slip sheeting?


In printing, slip sheeting refers to placing a blank piece of paper between groups of printed pages. It can be used with collated or uncollated pages. Slip sheets make it easy to see where one set stops and another begins, especially when stacked loose one on top of another and packed in cartons.


Please let us know before placing your order if you will require slip sheeting.


What is collating?

Paper collating illustration 

In printing, collating refers to sequentially layering the pages of a multiple page document, book, brochure, etc. in their proper, finished order. Collation is performed during the finishing process. It is often followed by binding the pages together. The simplest example of collating is a three page document, where page one is followed by page two, which is followed by page three. This is the same sequence the pages are read.


Please specify whether you need collating when ordering any loose sheets.